Friday, March 30, 2007

Was this suppose to be a race?

I heard an interesting phrase the other day... "we are all in this big race to the end [of this life]... when we will finally be freed from all of our imperfections."

This made me stop and think about my life and what life is really all about. Am I racing through everyday? Am I trying to catch up to the person in front of me? Or just trying to stay ahead of the person behind? Am I racing a 100 meter dash and just trying for 1st place? Am I missing what is really important?

I would like to hope that I am living as though life is not a sprint, but a marathon... one mile at a time... one step at a time... trying to get to the finish line just for my own personal accomplishment and not just to beat someone else there. Am I enjoying ever step... no matter how hard or painful or tiring it is?

I hate the phrase endure to the end cause it just makes the journey sound painful. Of course with the joys of life come trials. We can't always see the blessings or growth that the trials bring us, but then another familiar phrase comes to mind... we can't know sweet without the bitter.

Yes I can't wait to be freed from my own imperfections, but what am I doing with the time I have now... am I just sitting waiting to become perfect? Or am I striving to make the best of what I am and what I have?

I like to think that I am enjoying life to its fullest... every moment... every day. But as many of you... I know that I am looking to the next day or the next big event or next phase of life just to get me through the current one I am in.

Enough with the inner monologue... here is what I am going to do.

Love life.
Love God.
Love my family.
Love my neighbor.
Love myself.

All else will fall into place and I will better enjoy the journey and enjoy a closer glimpse of my destination.

(enjoying every moment)

4 comments:

{Erica} said...

Wow...a domestic goddess and a profound thinker...lucky Devn. Thanks for the reminder!

Anonymous said...

that is a great thought and definitely something to consider. Thanks!

Laura B. said...

nice job Abby. I completely agree and often find myself racing through life hoping to get to the "next best thing". thanks for the reminder to slow down.
Love you!!!

Debbi said...

Well said. It is very hard to remeber to slow down and enjoy life, but it's a very nice thing when you actually do. I love the picture too.