Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Ahhh the joys...

Teething: (teeth·ing) (t[emacr]th¢ing) the entire process which results in the eruption of the teeth

What this definition doesn't tell you is what exactly you get in this entire process. I had no idea. Luckily Ellee was able to enlighten me in the last few days. Now I am sure that all of these symptoms are not necessarily related to teething, just an incredibly unlucky/unlikely coincidence.

...don't ask how it works... one thing just led to another...

Since last Friday, Ellee has come down with the following symptoms: lack of appetite; congestion; needy (as in not content to play on her own for long, but not needy as in I want cuddles and snuggles from my mommy... needy as in I want you to hold me but you'd better be standing up and let me reach and grab for everything that you aren't trying to distract me with); nasty croupy cough; wheezing; waking in the night (and naps) every 45 minutes wanting her pacifier just so she can spit it out again because she is so congested that she can't breathe with it in; raspy voice and cry; green slimy eye goobers; low grade temperature; constipation and diarrhea (I know they don't usually accompany each other so don't ask how it works... one thing just led to another); one tiny little visible tooth; and finally when we went to the doctor she tops it all off with an ear infection.

Lovely.

Now those of you who are reading this thinking... oh no... my kids were just around her I hope they don't get sick too... don't worry, Ellee is on antibiotics and the doctor assured us it wasn't contagious at this point.

But none the less life here is quite interesting... I have had a suspicion that she was teething from the signs below... but now that I can see that tiny little tooth, I at least know that there is an end to all of this madness! Of course there are still 19 more teeth to erupt... so I guess this is just the beginning! Possibly the beginning to my end. I hope I can survive.

2 comments:

{Erica} said...

Loved the pictures, loved the post! Poor Miss Elee, there should be a rule that cute babies are immune to ear infections and feeling crummy in general don't you think? But I feel it my obligation to inform you (no bursting of your bubble intended) but the "end to all this madness" is when she is almost 3!! Yes, so true...and from here on out every time she feels icky and shows signs of anything but "norm" (what is that anyway)you will NEVER rule out teething! And then just when you think it's all over and done and all the teeth have broken through...potty training ensues! Maybe you'll hit the Mommy Jackpot and have both of those lovely things going on at once..yeah, you're jealous...just a little?

Debbi said...

One of my favorite quotes for babies says something like "the best thing Adam and Eve had going for them was they got to skip teething." That isn't word for word, but totally true. I swear we were not told about a few things before we came to earth - teething, pooping, shots, crazy stuff like that. At least for now you have a perfect excuse to use tylonal :)