secret recipes revealed...
So I promised Aleca a long time ago that I would post these recipes... so here they are. After living about 16 hours from the closest Cafe Rio, my mouth started salivating for that oh so tasty, mouth watering food. So I did some sleuthing and came upon the recipes below. I am not promising perfection... they are probably not the exact recipes... but they sure do taste close enough!
CAFE RIO CILANTRO DRESSING
1 1/3 cups sour cream
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1 bunch of cilantro
1 package ranch dressing mix
4 tbsp. salsa verde (green salsa)
2 cloves of garlic
1/8 tsp. Tabasco sauce
juice of one lime
Mix together in the blender. Refrigerate before serving. (I like to make this a day before so that all the flavors can soak in.)
CILANTRO-LIME RICE
1 cup uncooked rice
1 teaspoon butter or margarine
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon lime zest
1 can (15 oz) chicken broth
1 1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
3 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
In a saucepan combine rice, butter, garlic, lime peel, chicken broth and water. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook 15-20 minutes, until rice is tender. Remove from heat. In a small bowl combine lime juice, sugar and cilantro. Pour over hot cooked rice.
BLACK BEANS
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/3 cup tomato juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
In a nonstick skillet, cook garlic and cumin in olive oil over medium heat until you can smell it. Add beans, tomato juice, and salt. Continually stir until heated through. Just before serving stir in the cilantro.
CAFE RIO SWEET PORK
1 cup Pace salsa
1 cup brown sugar
1 cups Dr. Pepper
pork sirloin roast (about 2 lbs.) (I use a tenderloin)
Mix salsa, brown sugar and Dr. Pepper together and pour 2/3 of the mixture over a pork roast. Cook in crockpot on low all day. About 1 hour before serving shred the pork in the crockpot and add the remaining salsa mixture, cover and let simmer till ready to serve.
CAFE RIO CHICKEN (I have yet to try this recipe, so let me know how it goes if you try it!)
1 small bottle Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing
1 T chili powder
1 T cumin
3 cloves garlic—minced
5 lbs chicken breast
Cook all together in a crock pot for 6 hours, shred meat and cook 1 additional hour.
*********************
I melt cheese on the tortilla in a skillet, pile on the rice, beans, meat, lettuce, tomatoes (or salsa), dressing and top it all off with little baked tortilla strips (can be found usually in bags by the croutons at the grocery store). I have also found that it feeds about 4-5 people depending on who is eating it! ENJOY!

12 comments:
Thanks for the recipes! I am super excited to try them right away. Where did you find them?
that sweet pork recipe is divine! thanks for posting it! :D. You will be missed at the present party btw, although I'm less confidant about my gift this round. oh well...at least one person will want to take it home. :D
Abby-- YOU ROCK!!!! Thank you for remembering!!!!! I am super excited!!!! Thank you Thank you THANK YOU!!!!!!
P.S. I love Ellee's blue and white dress she looks like a little doll.
Ooohh...these sound so good!! Can't wait to try them!
I am so sad that tomorrow is sunday and I can't run out and buy these ingredients - but when the ox is in the meyer......right?! Thanks - I'm sure these will be delious!
I went last night and got all the ingredients for our family Sunday dinner. It was a huge success!! Everyone LOVED it! Thanks for the secrets! I totally owe you! (check my blog for a proper thank you)
Hey I was going to say that we had Cafe Rio night at our house a few weeks ago too (in ATL) and we made a bunch of these recipes I found online as well and it was all soooooo good. My pork one was a bit different than yours and wasn't that close to Rio's so we'll have to try this one and get a tenderloin instead of a roast next time. LONG LIVE CAFE RIO!
Nice. I've been wanting those. Thank you.
Abby
Your question about the allergy...I read the back of the baked cheetos and there wasn't any real cheese in them so I tried them tonight and there didn't seem to be any problem...yet! I'll let you know!
Ahh, gotta love Cafe Rio. Definitely I'll need to try this sometime. But, since I have one nearby, I guess I don't really "need" to do all the work to make it myself, but it might be fun to try anyway! And if I ever move away from a Cafe Rio, I'll be DEFINITELY making these recipes! Yum!
Hi Abby,
I just checked your blog because I haven't seen you since Nikki's shower and was wondering how you are doing. I"M SO GLAD I DID! This is great you have these recipes. Thanks for sharing!
Jenny
People should read this.
Post a Comment